The Hamilton County ESC Learning Center at North Norwood is a public separate school for students with disabilities specializing in intensive supports for students with behavioral and/or mental health needs. An interdisciplinary approach provides a team of professionals working with the student and his/her family and community-support systems in building effective academic and social/behavioral strategies needed to be successful in his/her most natural educational and community setting.
- Provide a link in the continuum of services for students with disabilities experiencing behavioral and/or mental health needs
- Facilitate collaboration between families, schools, and community-support systems in addressing students’ behavioral and/or mental health needs, including assisting in the connection of students to mental health services
- Unique courses including: Rock and Roll Academy, Music Industry Leadership, and Career Credentialing Programs
- Provide a structured behavioral-support program including: school-wide Positive Behavioral Intervention Supports (PBIS) – Daily instruction in social skills; instruction in affective education and communication skills; small-group interventions for students demonstrating common behavioral needs (e.g., group work, conflict resolution); intensive, individualized interventions utilizing the processes of functional behavioral assessment and behavioral intervention planning
- Provide a highly-structured academic program delivered by Highly-Qualified Teachers and utilizing the principles of differentiated instruction
- Provide nursing, school psychological, school counseling, occupational therapy, speech-language, and work study/transition coordinator services based upon students’ needs and as directed by their IEPs
- Facilitate the provision of other related services as directed by student IEPs
- Assist districts in meeting the requirements of federal, state, and local special education directives
In addition to services provided on site, the Learning Center at North Norwood also offers consultative services to schools, families, and community-service providers needing assistance in developing and implementing behavioral strategies that promote the inclusion of students with disabilities in the least restrictive environment. Services are provided via consultation with the Learning Center’s Itinerant Teacher and are offered at an hourly rate.