- List general factors that impact the linguistic and academic achievement of students in poverty and homelessness.
- Explain the effects of poverty on low-income and homeless students’ oral and literate language development.
- Compare and contrast situational and generational poverty.
- Summarize best practices for assessment to distinguish a language difference based on environmental factors from a language impairment.
- Describe specific practical strategies for increasing the oral language skills of students in poverty and conditions of homelessness.
- Discuss specific practical strategies for increasing the written language skills of students in poverty and homelessness, especially in terms of increasing their ability to meet Common Core State Standards
- Define the term “executive functioning.”
- Describe possible executive functioning deficits in students in poverty and homelessness and summarize strategies for remediation of these deficits.
Share this page