Sign Language Interpreter Services
Hamilton County ESC provides quality sign language interpreter services to help ensure students with hearing impairments or communication challenges can understand instruction and communicate with teachers and peers throughout the school day.
Hamilton County ESC will:
- Provide quality educational interpreting using student’s method of communication (ASL, CASE, SEE and Oral Transliteration)
- Ensure that full-time interpreters have proper credentials and are credentialed by the Ohio Department of Education as an Educational Interpreter
- Provide substitute interpreters who are qualified to meet student’s needs
- Routinely evaluate the technical skills and performance of each educational interpreter.
- Provide technical assistance and support for interpreters and teams by a Lead Interpreter who is Nationally Certified through the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
- Provide interpreter services for school related functions (these services are contracted on an hourly, as needed basis)
- After school functions including extracurricular student activities, programs, graduations, meetings, class trips, and more
- Interpreter services for deaf parents (parent-teacher conferences, special education related meetings and more).
Do you have a student who you are not sure needs or would benefit from an educational interpreter?
Hamilton County ESC has professional interpreters who can conduct an Interpreter Assessment and provide suggestions for educational teams.
Assessments can include:
- Meeting with the student, teacher and family to discuss communication needs
- Observing the student in a variety of educational settings and situations
- Interact with the student using a variety of sign language communication styles
- Assess current level of sign language vocabulary and ability to learn and produce signs for communication
- Written report of assessment/observation
- Attend team meetings to discuss assessment and answer questions
Lauren Brown, 513.674.4310